Trends don’t necessarily have to be new to be fashion forward. Sometimes, the coolest styles are ones that hark back to a bygone era. These retro trends are simultaneously fashionable and nostalgic, so they’re the perfect way to stir up a statement with your wardrobe. If you’ve been looking for a new way to mix up your outfits, give these timeless looks a shot.
- Embrace your curves in true pin-up style. The 50s were an awesome era for sexy, feminine, flattering fashion. This trend is especially great for women with that killer hourglass figure who want to make the most of their curves without necessarily showing off a ton of skin. Shop for boutique clothing online and get yourself some vintage-style dresses. They’re perfect for chic summer style and are the ultimate in classic cool.
- Get creative with embroidery. Back in the 60s and 70s, it was common for girls (and guys) to rock embroidered patterns and designs on their clothes. This trend has made its way back into the mainstream, and it’s an awesome one for anyone who loves to customise their clothes and make them feel truly personal. Grab a pair that’s already embroidered or get crafty at home to design your own custom-made jeans.
- Bring back your inner 90s kid. Those of us who were kids back in the 90s didn’t get enough time to try out some of the amazing trends that were floating around in that decade. The choker necklace came back last year and it’s not going anywhere anytime soon – we love it too much to say goodbye just yet. Wear a stretchy tattoo style choker if you want the 90s look, or go 70s boho with a hippie style choker paired with an off the shoulder blouse for a sexy peek of skin.
- Your sleeves can go big or go home. Dramatic sleeves are everywhere this year, from blouses to evening gowns. You can tone it down with a slight flare in the sleeves of your day dress, or go all the way with voluminous ruffles and puffed-out peasant blouses. This trend can be edgy or romantic depending on how you wear it, so experiment with the style until it works for your personal taste.
- Hike up your waist. The days of the low-rider jeans are long gone, and the high-waisted retro look has definitely arrived. Despite what you may have assumed, this style can be super-flattering on a wide range of body types. It’s a great way to cinch in your waist if you’re hourglass-shaped, or create more curves if you want to boost your natural figure. It also makes it way easier to get in on the crop top trend, which can be more than a little intimidating for most of us.
- Add drama with feathers. If you feel like rocking a 60s flower child look this summer on the beach, you can’t go wrong with a few carefully placed feathers. Avoid cultural appropriation by keeping them well away from your headband, but wear them hanging from earrings or lined on your handbag to incorporate some natural beauty into your outfit. This fashion trend can look surprisingly luxurious if you play it up, or more laid back and hippie-chic if you like it that way.